Saturday, March 25, 2017

Craft weekend is here!!!!

Well, in my book 'crafting' is a huge topic and entails multiple genres.....one of them being making funnel cakes!  Yes, it should have been Funnel Cake Friday but it just didn't happen so it has spilled over into my Craft Weekend.  I have not had a funnel cake for years and I'm meaning a decade at least if not 2, so it was time.
I happened to spot this little box in the grocery store when my sweet tooth was giving me fits so I succumbed........
 If you know me well, you would know that everything I undertake ends up to be a BIG project and this was no exception.......... as I stated this was on the list for Friday...don't ask me where Friday went but it did so then there's today.  The directions said to use a thermometer and get the oil up to 375 degrees...I don't have a thermometer for sticking in hot oil so I went about Googling the information which took about 1 hour as one of the places I looked locked up my computer and I had to reboot....so then I ran the cleaner on my computer while I was at it and that took another 10 minutes so finally I figure from all the info I gathered that probably medium high would be good so #7 on my burner dial.  I get my pan out and pour in what they say should be about 3/4 inch of oil......I have about 1/4 inch.................soooooooooooooooo.....I have to go to the store and get oil which I do...about another 20 minutes or so.  It takes about 30 minutes for the oil to heat up......I use the wooden spoon tip where you put the end of a wooden spoon in the hot oil and it is ready when you see bubbles coming up from the end of the spoon.....FINALLY......I'm ready......I use the funnel and dribble the batter into the hot oil............it looks more like an umbilical cord than a funnel cake.....but I persist.......
 You have to flip it over when it starts browning on the edges and I finally have 1 funnel cake.....if that's what you want to call it....
I quickly covered it in powdered sugar and ate it to destroy the evidence! 
It got better after that and by the time I was out of batter I was finally getting the hang of it!
My best one yet and now I have a mountain of funnel cakes that I hope I don't pig out on and make myself sick! LOL! 
I did manage to iron some fabric and spend a good portion of my morning trying to 'straighten the grain' which of course meant more Googling and You Tube videos and then basket lining videos and more measuring of my basket......well, you get the drift.  There's still tomorrow though where I might actually be able to create something more than funnel cakes which will probably be gone by tomorrow night! LOL!
I hope you had a great Saturday!  Happy Trails!

18 comments:

  1. I am laughing so hard. Funnel cake making is an art for sure. I used to watch them do it at fairs but their funnels had bigger openings than a normal kitchen funnel. Your searching google cracked me up. That is exactly what I would be doing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I made you laugh! It's good medicine for all of us and I hope it helps your hand heal!

      Delete
  2. That sounds exactly like how I spent my Saturday. First, I wanted to bake a cake. And I needed cooking oil. Since I was going out to the grocery store, I might as well stop at the craft store. And then it is 2 pm and my husband will be home from work in an hour. I did bake the cake, but it isn't frosted yet. I am very spoiled. A friend at my church makes funnel cakes all the time. Every time we do an activity with the Sunday School, she is there with a deep fryer, a bowl of batter, these metal things she puts the batter on (like molds on a stick?) and powdered sugar! Yours look scrumptious!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were really good despite how they looked! LOL! I need your friends name and number...just kidding....but I could use some 'tips and techniques' for making them. But since I probably won't make a habit of it I guess the taste is all I care about. That little mix by McCormick was great too! They will definitely be on the menu at Camp Grandma this Summer!

      Delete
  3. Great job although you did have me laughing out loud. :-). Those cakes look delicious.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a real treat despite all the set backs! LOL!

      Delete
  4. Love this! Oh I am laughing, but it looks sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were yummy and I think I will look for recipe to make the batter from scratch. I think the grands will love them when they come this summer so I want to refine my 'techique'! LOL!

      Delete
  5. I think not! lol Let me try again! I said something like this. I have NEVER had a funnel cake but they remind me of Sopapillas and I was thinking of making some of them for my hubby. You roll out the dough, cut in triangles and then when you fry them, they puff up like little pillows. Enjoy your afternoon sweet friend. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound delicious too! Funnel cakes are a big county fair thing up North at least and in the Midwest. Do you sprinkle those with cinnamon sugar? I think I've heard of them. They might be a little easier than the 'funnel' method and less messy! LOL!

      Delete
  6. you had a long day!! I have a grand that loves funnel cake, I have never had one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always gotten mine at the county fairs but I haven't been to one of those in years. Hopefully, when I get up North I will be attending...they're different depending on the region.

      Delete
  7. OOH! Funnel cake! I haven't had the pleasure of trying that at a county fair but hot damn, I have some pinned recipes. The dames would have fun squeezing that batter into the oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just be careful as it is 'HOT OIL' but you could almost stand to have 2 people...one to move the funnel and one to pour the batter into the oil. It was kind of like rubbing your stomach and patting your head exercise. LOL! I think I did 'pig out' yesterday and it did not 'sit well' with my tummy....that'll teach me!

      Delete
  8. Oh Sam, I love how you describe the cake-making! :) I've NEVER seen or heard of a funnel cake but boy, it looks splendid! Good thing you got rid of the evidence lol...Very nice. I'm impressed by how it looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rain. I'm sure there are recipes out there to make them from scratch and truly...who doesn't love some kind of fried dough sprinkled with sugar and maybe cinnamon. Some cover them with strawberries and whip cream....as Emeril says...you can always 'kick it up a notch'! LOL!

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!