Sunday, November 19, 2017

YOP Week #21

Well, the Christmas presents are coming along....slowly but steadily and really I think I'm ahead this year although I don't want to jinx myself!  I'm already cutting corners on a few of my gift giving plans so it should all work out.  Speaking of gifts......I have a finish (except for weaving in some ends but that will happen during t.v. watching tonight.)  The shawl for my daughter.........yes, I've decided to give it to her......I bought a second skein and made it big enough to wrap around your neck like everyone does nowadays............
There is also a little ruffled edging............I made a mistake on it....it was supposed to be 3 DC in each DC from the previous row but I misread and only did 2 so it is not as 'ruffled' as it is supposed to be but that's fine because my daughter and I are not the 'ruffle' type anyway so it's good as is..............
I'm not going to block it as it's acrylic...do people block acrylic yarn products?    Maybe a wash and dry in the machine?
I got some work done on the giraffe....can I tell you how much I detest stuffing and sewing on limbs and embroidering the face details?  The knitting is fine but the rest of it not so much fun.  I never seem to get the limbs attached symmetrically and the facial features are not my strong point either.  But I will forge ahead except I ran out of orange yarn, I need to get a pom pom maker as I did it the old fashioned way last time with cardboard and again....it was not fun.  So, anything to make this job easier is a plus in my book.
Also, no more acrylic yarn!!!  It doesn't stretch or move and it is hard on my hands to knit or crochet with.....some of the newer brands are soft but still...........I was listening to the gal on The Spicy Homemaker podcast who knit a toy monkey for her nephew and she said it was the most enjoyable project and she had bought some nice yarn at her LYS....not acrylic.   But then her son wanted one too and she had been given a bunch of acrylic yarn by a non-knitter who's mother had passed away so she thought she would use it for the 2nd monkey.  She said it has been an awful experience and she is having a hard time finishing it.  So, I guess that explains a lot with my 3 giraffes (only on #2 so far).....ugh!  Never again...I am going to become a yarn snob now...be forewarned!
In fact, this little project was a kit that came with beautiful hand dyed yarn.....I hope I can wait until after the gifts are done to cast it on but I'm not betting the farm on it! LOL! 
   I have worked on my sweater too and I'm pretty sure I am done with the sides and back and now I will be knitting the bottom edging and then the sleeves.  I need to try it on one more time to ensure it will be long enough....I'm wondering if I should have knit a bigger size as I knit tightly....but we shall see.  If it doesn't fit me it will fit someone and it has been a pleasure to knit and it has given me confidence to knit other garments in the future for sure!  My next garment I will do a swatch!
I didn't post a picture as you have seen it a zillion times already.
I did my 4 squares on my CMB and it is starting to go over the side of the bed....I just can't make up my mind if I want to be able to tuck it in like a regular blanket or just lay it over the bed under the quilt.  What do you think?  Would it be too bulky to tuck in?  Thoughts?
Here are the squares from this week.....the bottom 4...........
 They always look wonky like this but there will be an edging of some sort when it is finished and maybe a lining on the back?  I've seen some knitted blankets lined and it helps them hold their shape but I have no idea how they accomplish it....does anyone know?  Just thinking ahead!  It will be awhile so I have time.
I found some new and interesting pod casts this week and I also found some wonderful new patterns and yarns to get for my 'post Christmas' knitting.  I already have my sock yarn for Little Bobbin's Christmas Eve cast on of socks.  But for the other projects I need to order supplies.  Somehow  I have to squeeze it out  of the budget which isn't easy at this time of year but I must!
The podcasts I watched this week were:
The Bakery Bears (still catching up)
A Friend to Knit With (I LOVE her projects and the yarns she uses!....she's my Friend for life!)
The Spicy Homemaker
These are very good and almost professional in their pod casting skills.
That's all for this week!  I've been up since 1:15 this morning so I am just trying to make it to 8:00 p.m. before I crash.  I will be shopping tomorrow for Thanksgiving so I will try and catch up with everyone at some point....
Happy Thanksgiving if I don't talk to you before then or if you only stop by for YOP.
Happy Trails regardless!!! 

18 comments:

  1. It doesn't look like your scarf needs blocking, Sam, but to answer your question... yes - I block a lot of things I make in acrylic. I use a steam iron and am just careful not to get it too hot, or touch the yarn. It softens and shapes any finished project very nicely. BTW, I like your not-too-ruffly ruffle. I think it looks pretty perfect. I hope you have a terrific Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becky. I'm not sure I'll have time to block it but we'll see. I don't have a steam iron or do I? I have my Mom's old one on which the steam no longer works but I got one from Oreck when I got my vacuum....maybe that one has steam...I'll have to check. You have a great Thanksgiving also!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Katrina...I have some catching up to do with you! I'll be by....shopping got done today so hopefully the pace will even out now.

      Delete
  3. I block my acrylic projects too. Just the way Becki does. There are some acrylics I will not use, but there are others that are wonderful and never scratch and have wonderful stretch to them. I have worked with lots of 'natural' fibers including wool that are non stretchy and very hard to work with. If you used Red Heart super saver acrylic, than I agree it is horrible to work with. I prefer "I Love This Yarn" from Hobby Lobby for most non clothing projects.

    Your shawl is gorgeous and I like the smallish ruffle too. Aren't mistakes wonderful?

    The giraffe will be loved no matter if it is symmetrical or not. Grandma made it so grand children will love it.

    Have a blessed week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the blocking info and you are SO right....it's the old acrylics I have and the Red Heart Super Saver. I agree, I got some Hobby Lobby yarn and it is much softer and easy to use....I guess I just have to watch what type of acrylic I buy. You know me....I'm looking at the colors first! LOL!
      Thank you for the compliments too. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family and have a safe trip!

      Delete
  4. I've never had a problem with acrylic yarns. Some might be scratchier but they still work up just fine and if nothing else, they can be used for yarnbombing. :) I started a half-granny shawl but never did finish it and now don't even remember which pattern I was following. Same goes for the cocoon shrug I started and never finished. :/ Sewing bits together usually seems to take longer than the actual making of the parts. The giraffe is looking good so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my acrylics are old and like Marsha said...Red Heart Super Saver is like crocheting with plastic....stiff plastic! LOL! I think the yarn I got for the 3rd giraffe is from Hobby Lobby and it is much softer so I'm hoping it will be easier to work with.

      Delete
  5. My sock yarn blanket (which is made with fingering) is not too bulky to tuck under the pillows and I leave the sides and bottom out. I didn't edge mine - my edges are triangles. I tried an i-cord edging and that looked too bulky so I didn't like it. Your daughter will love the gift I am certain. I am with you about sewing together the little animals. I have to get to it quickly after I finish all the knitting parts or else the poor things just languish in pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this giraffe has been languishing for quite a while and if I don't get them done this year they will be too old for 'stuffies'! thanks for the info on the blanket....I may just make it a little longer so it goes over the sides a bit....heaven knows I have plenty of that old yarn to use up! LOL!

      Delete
  6. Hi Sam :) I think the shawl looks great! The edge is very nice to me! I'm not much into ruffled either, a happy mistake lol! Your giraffe looks so cute, but definitely needs a smile :) I'm not much into detail work myself...I'm still working on Christmas stocking number 3 of 8 and I have big plans to embroider names into them...I have a sneaking suspicion it won't happen this year! I think being a yarn snob is just fine. We spend so much time touching it and running it over our hands, I think it's important to have a yarn that is soft and smooth. I love your quilt, I myself would just toss it over the bed. We are "no tuckers" basically because my hot flashes have me throwing the covers off and on all night lol...I think it looks so cozy! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Rain. It's been many a moon since I went through menopause but those hot flashes are still with me....maybe it's blood pressure now? Anyway, I still stick my feet out when I get hot so yes, no tucking....thanks for reminding me! LOL!

      Delete
  7. Wow! You get up about the time I'm finally falling asleep! Your shawl turned out beautifully and I really like the way you did the edge. Just enough ruffle. As for blocking acrylic, I never do. I just wash and dry in the machine and they usually turn out beautifully.
    I have lined a blanket I made for Piper with some soft flannel. I blanket stitched the edges together and then tied the middle like a tied quilt. It was NOT fun and I don't think I'll ever do it again. A real pain.
    I just got the yarn for a new shawl from Knit Picks but it will have to wait until gifts are complete. I have to make myself wait.
    Another new podcast! I hadn't heard of "A Friend to Knit With" so I'll have to look that one up.
    Have a lovely day my friend.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see their 'fade' bundles? I love them....I just hope I have some money left to get myself some project yarn. My birthday is 1/4 but usually there's not much left in the 'till' after Christmas! LOL! I'm hoping my budget works in my favor this year. You will love A Friend to Knit With. She makes the most beautiful and simple items with beautiful yarns....so tempting....I want to make the 100 X Simple cowl with that yarn she used. It's $12 a skein and you need 4 so that's $48....but it is so pretty! The $12 isn't bad but $48 is more than I would pay for a cowl....I'm wrestling with it! LOL! I think I'm a little 'tight' too or frugal but I really do want to start buying some nice yarn to knit with. I know what you mean...I am just listing projects and yarns for post gift making....but it's difficult! LOL! Thanks for the tip about the lining...I think I'll pass! I hope you have a picture of the new yarn on your blog....I'll be by soon! You have a great day too!

      Delete
  8. Seeing your shawl makes me feel so happy. I heard about NAKNISWEMO in 2015, probably from another blogger. I've had to frog and restart but I'm just about caught up now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at your giraffe coming together! I must admit to not knitting toys as I hate sewing up. The shawl looks gorgeous as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would just put it on top of the quilt it is too pretty to hide under the quilt! Your giraffe will be so darn cute! What a lovely gift for your daughter! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting. Comments are "grist for the mill" and I appreciate each and every one of them!